20/4/2026 - 25/7/2026(Week 1 - Week 14)
YANG SHUO / 0384037
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
DIS60403 / Design Research Dissertation
Final Submission
INSTRUCTION
Assignment 1: Draft
Assignment 2: Visual Design for E-Publication
Assignment 3: Final Dissertation
Assignment 4:Manuscript
REFLECTION
Throughout this semester, this research project changed the way I understand gender representation in video games. At first, I was mainly interested in the visual differences between male and female characters, such as clothing, body proportions, and character roles. However, during the research process, I gradually realized that character design is not only about appearance. The repeated visual choices in games can influence how players understand characters and may also reflect wider ideas about gender.
One of the biggest challenges for me was learning how to turn a personal observation into an academic research topic. My original thoughts were based more on my own experience as a player, but I needed to support them with previous studies and collect data from other players. Designing the questionnaire also made me think more carefully about how to ask questions without leading participants toward a specific answer.
During the writing process, I found that presenting results was easier than explaining their meaning. I learned that research writing requires a balance between describing data and discussing why the findings are important. Revising the manuscript several times also helped me understand that a research paper is developed through continuous adjustment rather than completed in one attempt.
This project allowed me to look at game character design from a more critical perspective and understand the relationship between design choices, player perception, and gender representation.
评论
发表评论