20/ 4 / 2026 - 25/7/2026 Week 1- Week 14
YANG SHUO / 0384037
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
GCD 61804 / Vehicle and Props Design
INSTRUCTION
Exercises
- Study of Object Structure
This exercise focuses on observing real objects and translating them into
simple forms. I selected three objects and drew them from five different
angles to better understand their structure.
I chose common items from my life:
a mouse, a phone stand, and a spray bottle.
|
|
Fig 1.1 mouse, phone holder, and spray bottle |
Here are my drafts:
|
| Fig 1.2 Draft #1 Mouse |
|
| Fig 1.3 Draft #2 Phone holder |
|
|
Fig 1.4 Draft #3 Spray bottle |
Finally, refine the sketches and complete them.
|
| Fig 1.5 Outcome #1 Mouse |
|
| Fig 1.6 Outcome #2 Phone holder |
|
| Fig 1.4 Outcome#3 Spray bottle |
- Material Sphere Painting Practice
I painted several material spheres, including gold, aluminium, plastic,
steel, copper and rusty iron. I mainly compared their highlights,
reflections, roughness and surface details. This exercise helped me
understand how different materials can be shown through lighting before
applying them to the vehicle and interior props.
|
| Fig 1.5 Material Sphere Painting Practice |
- Vehicle Sketch Practice
I sketched a submarine, tram and aircraft from references to study the
basic structures of different vehicles. This practice helped me observe
how the main body, mechanical parts and transportation features are
connected. It also gave me more references for simplifying shapes during
my own vehicle design.
|
| Fig 1.6 Vehicle Sketch Practice |
Final Output:
Project 1
Task Requirements:
KICKSTARTING : Explore the types of vehicles for a specific world setting
you are referring to. Do not overcomplicate the concept. You can
pick an existing IP as a reference (e.g., Star Wars, DUNE, Blade Runner,
Mad Max) to create another section of that world with your own identity,
culture, resources, occupation, location, climate, technology, functions,
time zone, theme, etc. Or you can create a brand new world. You can align
your concept idea across other modules if it's applicable. (We can discuss
further.) PICK ONE TYPE OF VEHICLE THAT BEST SUITS YOUR WORLD.
Create a moodboard with a collection of your inspirations alongside
existing vehicles in reality to kickstart your ideation process. Use
PureRef application.
Rough sketches to explore. (keep it loose, not complicated)
Compile them as a presentation slide with the description of your world
for the proposal.
Process:
I like the animation style of Hayao Miyazaki, so the style I envisioned is
more towards being lively and fantastical. At the beginning, I planned to
design a fantasy tram connected with my character’s world. I collected
references of old trams, goldfish, mechanical structures and Japanese
seaside colours. My first idea focused strongly on the goldfish theme, but
the relationship between the appearance and the function of the vehicle was
still unclear.
|
| Fig 2.1 Moodboard |
During the thumbnail stage, I explored many body shapes and different combinations of tram and fish elements. Some designs looked too close to an animal, while others lost the special identity of the concept.
|
| Fig 2.2-2.4 Sketches |
The professor advised me to focus more on the characteristics of the tram
itself and then combine it with the goldfish, rather than creating a tram in
the shape of a goldfish. After receiving feedback, I returned to the basic
structure of a tram and continued changing the body proportion, wheels, roof
and fish-related parts.
|
|
Fig 2.5 Sketches |
After thorough consideration, I decided to retain this design version and
further refined its orthogonal diagram.
|
| Fig 2.6 Orthogonal |
When developing the silhouettes, I found that several designs were difficult
to recognise as vehicles. Some shapes also looked interesting in a flat
drawing but might be difficult to build in 3D. I compared the selected designs
through rough value painting and gradually reduced unnecessary details. The
wider single-car tram was chosen because its structure was clearer and gave
more space for the interior design.
|
| Fig 2.7 Silhouettes |
I also modeled the general shape using Blender, transitioning from 2D to 3D,
which allowed me to more intuitively identify the problems in the design.
|
| Fig 2.8 Block out |
Final Output:
Project 2
Task Requirements:
You are to continue developing your vehicle design from project 1. Pick
one of your vehicle and props concepts to be extended with a design
application that communicates well and appeals to the target audiences.
Here, you have to showcase your development process. Process includes:
Thumbnails (Vehicle and Props Breakdowns)
Value studies
Color studies
Textures
Process:
In Project 2, I mainly considered what needed to be shown inside the
goldfish tram. At the beginning, I tried to show the interior by
removing one side of the tram body. However, the viewpoint was still
mainly focused on the exterior, so most of the objects inside appeared too
small. Although the general layout could be seen, the functions and
important details were not clear enough.
|
|
Fig 3.1 Prop design sketch |
According to the professor’s feedback, I needed to focus on the driver’s
cabin first because it could explain how the tram was operated. I adjusted
the viewpoint and made the driver’s seat, front window and control panel
more visible. I needed to present both the objects inside the tram
and their important details. Therefore, I enlarged the control panel and
drew a more detailed breakdown of its buttons, handles and display area. I
also separated several representative props from the interior, so their
shapes and functions could be seen more clearly.
The professor later suggested adding cool and warm ambient lighting and strengthening the separation between the light and shadow areas. After applying these changes, the interior structure became easier to read, and the mechanical parts gained a stronger sense of volume. The improvement was very noticeable, especially around the control panel and the main objects inside the tram.
|
| Fig 3.4 Value and colour |
In this project, I mainly drew the metal materials and the texture of the
car's exterior, but I'm not very clear about it. Therefore, Project Three
needs to focus on this aspect.
Final Output:
Final Project
Task Requirements:
Final Polished 3D Modeling and Concept Design for the vehicle were
completed in projects 1 & 2. Call sheet showcasing the breakdowns of
your props, interior, and engine (if necessary). Key Art for all 3 vehicle
concepts is attached as an example. The call sheet needs to be well laid
out.
Color studies
Textures
Key Art
Props Breakdown
Orthographic
Process:
I have to admit that in the previous projects, I was overly complicated in
my prop design, which made it difficult for me to complete the modeling
for the final project. Therefore, I have decided to simplify a few of the
current unachievable details and strive to fully replicate my design
drawing.
1.Block out
Part of the modeling process is described as follows.
Part of the modeling process is described as follows.
- Cab : I started with simple block shapes to test the overall layout of the driver cabin. After confirming the structure, I used face extrusion to extend the dashboard and added details such as control panels, buttons, and handles to gradually refine the interior.
|
| Fig 4.1 Cab modeling process |
Suitcase Prop: The suitcase prop was modeled using a similar hard
surface workflow. I started with a simple cube and adjusted its
proportion to create the main suitcase body. The inner space was created
by selecting faces and using Extrude Face to create thickness and depth.
The lid was separated from the main body and further refined by
extruding the border edges. Additional details, including the handle,
locks, and inner objects, were created using simple geometric shapes and
extrusion techniques.
Books are also made using a similar method.
|
| Fig 4.2 Suitcase Prop modeling process |
Tubes Connection: I created the curved pipe
connection using bridge edge loops to connect different sections. During
the process, I spent a lot of time adjusting the topology because the edge
flow around the curved areas was difficult to control and required
repeated modifications.
|
| Fig 4.3 The application of bridge edge loops |
Window Structure
I used the Boolean modifier to create the hollow window structure on the
vehicle body. During the process, adjusting the cutting shape and
position was challenging because small changes could affect the
thickness and overall appearance of the window frame.
|
| Fig 4.4 The application of Boolean modifier |
2.Colour
I first tested the overall color direction with simple base colors to establish the visual style of the vehicle. I chose light blue and white as the main colors to create a clean and refreshing feeling, while adding brighter colors such as yellow, orange, and blue on small details to enhance the playful atmosphere. During the process, I adjusted the balance between different colors to avoid making the vehicle look too plain or overly saturated.
3.Texture and material
I applied different material settings to distinguish the surface
characteristics of the vehicle interior. For the wooden floor, I adjusted
the wood texture scale and color to match the warm interior style. For the
seats, I adjusted the roughness and surface details to create a softer
fabric appearance. During the process, I tested different material
parameters and made adjustments based on the final rendering result.
|
| Fig 4.6 Wood grain texture map |
4.Glass and Lighting Material
I adjusted the glass material by changing the transparency and roughness
settings to create a clearer window effect. For the interior wall
lights, I used an emission material and adjusted the light intensity to
create a soft glowing effect. During the process, I tested different
values to control the transparency of the glass and the brightness of
the lights in the final render.
|
|
Fig 4.7 Glass and Lighting Material
|
Final Output:
REFLECTIONS
Throughout this semester, I learned that vehicle design is not only about
creating an attractive appearance, but also about thinking about structure,
function, and storytelling. During the process, I faced many challenges,
especially in modeling, material adjustment, and presenting the design
clearly. Feedback from my lecturer helped me realize the importance of
showing how the vehicle works instead of only focusing on the final look.
Through continuous testing and improvement, I became more familiar with the
3D modeling workflow and learned to solve problems step by step. This
project also improved my patience and confidence in developing my own design
ideas.

























.png)
.png)



评论
发表评论